My 101 tasks in 1001 days challenge is over. I can’t believe how fast 1001 days have flown by. When I look at my final list, I realized that even though I didn’t accomplish everything on it, I still got a lot done. It was a great way to bring attention to some areas of my life and explore them a bit. It’s also helped me identify a few things I want to spend more time on from now on.
All in all, it was a great experience and this isn’t the end. After many weeks of reflection and wish contemplation, I’ve put together a list of goals I want to accomplish in 2014. That list includes sub-goals to guide me along the way, and specific deadlines for each. I’ve even created a giant calendar that lists what I should be working on every day to help me get these goals accomplished. I know it can sound a little extreme, but with the crazy life and schedule that I have, this is the only way for me to have a constant visual reminder to refer to every day. I really hope I make some headway in the months ahead.
29) Organize and clean up my internet browser bookmarks (0/1) – not done
I have to laugh at this goal because when I wrote it, I mostly used Internet Explorer. Today I still use it, along with Google Chrome, and each browser has its own set of bookmarks, as messed up as they can be. One of those days when I feel like a little cleaning would do me good, this will be a good project to tackle on.
30) Edit and save all family / kid photos I took since the birth of my first child (0/1) – not done
Unfortunately I didn’t get this done and I still have photos of my kids on several computers, SD cards, etc. At least I’ve figured out that online storage is probably the best for me and I’ve signed up for a couple of online accounts. Now, if I could only remember what they were…
39) Create new products for sale on my Zazzle store twice a week (7/112) – not done
40) Identify up to two other websites to post my photos for sale and post new photos once a week (0/56) – not done
As much as I wanted to work on this in 2013, I didn’t. It’s on my list of goals for 2014 and so far I haven’t done it either but now I have a reminder twice a week to give me a chance to focus a few minutes at a time on this project.
42) Write my first book (0/1) – not done
I had 1001 days and I didn’t get to do this. But… when I originally wrote this task, I wasn’t sure what type(s) of book I wanted to write. 1001 days later, I have a much better idea and actually several drafts in various stages of completion. Now that I’ve signed up for Julie Hedlund’s 12×12 challenge, I have further motivation to work on this throughout the year.
44) Read one book a week (152/143) – DONE
That was easier than I thought. While some books took me longer than a week to read, I’ve figured out one book a week is what I average.
45) Read 30 literature “classics” (2/30) – not done
Hmm, I guess I’m not a classics fan…
46) Re-read all of the Harry Potter books in a row (0/7) – not done
That would have been a lot of fun but it didn’t happen.
48) Post book reviews on both Goodreads and Amazon (0/1) – not done
I post my book reviews on Goodreads every time I finish an adult book but don’t do it for all the children’s books I read with my kids. And I don’t post my reviews on Amazon, even though I’ve wanted to. One of my setbacks what the name to use for those reviews. I think I’ve figured it out now and I’ll be doing a better job this year.
56) Establish 2 French-only days a week with my kids, including storytime (54/246) – not done
I did terrible at this. It sounded so easy and I realized it’s not. Good wake-up call for sure.
59) Try 10 new recipes (14/10) – DONE
This has been a lot of fun. I got a bread maker last year and several of the recipes were to make some kind of loaf, such as brioche or sweet milk bread.
60) Bake Christmas cookies (2/3) – not done
I almost did it! Instead we made Halloween cookies, and then Thanksgiving cookies this year. By the time Christmas came and we got busy playing with our new toys, we’d forgotten all about the cookies!
61) Have 10 family picnics (18/10)
I’m so glad this was on the list and we’re looking forward to more picnics this year. The challenge has been to pack some foods my kids would eat since they don’t like sandwiches. I’ve managed to feed them well and we’ve really enjoyed eating outside in the middle of nature.
62) Try 10 new restaurants (14/10) – DONE
This was an “interesting” experience, as some of these restaurants worked out well and others didn’t (the food or the service was below average). It’s still nice to try something new once in a while.
65) Sing in the rain (0/1) – not done
This probably sounds easy for many of you since you get plenty of rain. We don’t. As in, it almost never rains here. And when it does, it’s in the winter and it feels cold outside. The last thing you want is go out and get drenched just to sing. I hope one day my kids have the opportunity to experience one of those summer storms where the rain coming down feels wonderful and all you want is to stand in it, sing and dance.
67) Go whale watching (0/1) – not done
I just don’t think my kids are old enough to put up with being on a boat for 6 to 8 hours yet. I don’t think I am either, haha!
69) Make birthday cakes from scratch for every family birthday, including mine (4/10) – not done
Making the cake in itself isn’t a lot of work but getting the kids to choose the cake they want is a little different!
75) Pet a horse (0/1) – not done
I want to say we did this because I swear we did, but I can’t remember. Probably at one of those pony rides. I’m leaving it undone as a future reminder to have my kids and myself do it.
76) See a waterfall (0/1) – not done
Our ongoing drought of four years hasn’t helped with that. The only waterfalls I’ve seen were man made.
78) Make a snowman (0/1) – not done
Same reason as above. A longtime drought and not enough snow.
79) Stargaze and look for shooting stars (1/1) – DON
I did this by myself this summer but didn’t see any shooting stars. I did give my kids the opportunity to stargaze early this winter, since the night comes so much earlier. They were amazed at how many stars and planets were visible to the naked eye.
81) Go to Disneyland California (0/1) – not done
I don’t feel bad about this one because my kids haven’t asked to go. We did go to Legoland California though (#82).
83) Rollover the 401K from my most recent job into my personal IRA (0/1) – not done
84) Set up college savings accounts for my two kids (0/1) – not done
85) Write a will and get life insurance (0/1) – not done
Guess what’s on my list for 2014?
86) Go to sleep by 11pm every night (786/1001) – not done
I’ve made a conscientious effort to get to bed earlier in the past few months. I know it’s a new habit I have to establish and I’m working on it. I’m a lot more productive on the days when I’ve gone to bed early enough the night before.
87) Take a relaxing bath once a week (0/93) – not done
I’m sure it would be nice but I just can’t justify the extra water and the extra time spent in the bathtub right now.
88) Stop biting my nails (0/1) – not done
If you have tips for this one, I’m all ears.
94) Go a whole day without saying no (0/1) – not done
Do you know how hard this is? But I really want to try it one day because I like the challenge!
95) Not swear for a whole week (0/1) – not done
Same as above!
96) Spend a whole weekend without computer or internet access (1/1) – DONE
I didn’t do a whole weekend but I did it from a Saturday night to a Monday morning twice last year. It was difficult and liberating at the same time. This year, I’m planning to do one unplugged Sunday a month.
97) Complete 5 Sudoku puzzles (0/5) – not done
I didn’t do this and it’s OK. I’m just not a Sudoku person. :-)
98) Perform 52 intentional / random acts of kindness in 2013 (52/52) – DONE
I stopped counting after 52 but I’m really glad I did it, and many times it involved my kids too. Definitely on my list for this year again!
If you didn’t participate in the 101 in 1001 challenge, did you set goals for yourself last year? How did you do? Are you setting goals for yourself this year? What tips do you have to share to help someone reach their goals?