Can you believe 2012 is just around the corner? I have no idea where 2011 went but I’m glad this year almost over. I’ve found it very trying for our family in many ways and even though we overcame most hurdles, the journey was difficult, even painful at times.
I started the year by learning that my estranged father had passed away. The event brought back painful memories but also ignited some curiosity about someone I never knew. I see some good things coming out of it, eventually. Then I had to get another dental crown because an old filling was expanding and cracking my tooth. I had to put my 14-year-old cat to sleep with no slow warning that something was wrong with him. My back pain reached excruciating levels and lasted for months until I stumbled upon an Indian herb (Holy Basil) that seems to work wonders. My freelance business did better than I expected and I had the chance to define the types of projects I really want to work on in the future. My husband had to deal with some demons of his own and it made things difficult for all of us for a while. My youngest started preschool and was great at the transition, while my oldest started kindergarten and had a rough start. He now behaves well 95% of the time and as of this Christmas, he can mostly read on his own. He also had hernia surgery in the fall, which was super stressful for me. My garden was under constant attack for half the year and my crops weren’t as plentiful as expected. And of course, we all got sick with the nastiest stomach bug just before Christmas. As I said, I can’t wait to wish 2011 goodbye and welcome 2012.
It’s been a long time since I’ve done a 101 in 1001 challenge update and I thought, what better time than today, as my last post of the year? This update includes what I completed in October, November and December 2011, so there was quite a lot of time to catch up with, and unfortunately, I didn’t complete as many projects as expected. As I said, better luck in 2012!
Home & Organization
15) Install microwave oven over the stove or repair the current oven (1/1) – DONE
16) Get our gas stove burners fixed (1/1) – DONE
18) Sell or donate the baby toys and clothes in the closet and garage by end of summer 2011 (1/1) – DONE
32) Print memorable photos of my oldest child for the large photo collage frame I bought and put it on the staircase wall (1/1) – DONE
33) Print memorable photos of my youngest child for the large photo collage frame I bought and put it on the staircase wall (1/1) – DONE
I got so pumped up about getting 32) and 33) done that I bought more photo collage frames to document the first couple of years for each kid. I won’t add this new project to my 101 in 1001 list but I’m looking forward to taking care of it eventually.
Writing / Creating (I’ve nowadded Creating to this project list title)
34) Spend 3 hours a day on writing activities (paid or not) during the week, 2 hours a day on weekends (138/1001)
36) Post once a week to my Perfecting Motherhood blog (61/143)
38) Post once a day to my Every Day I See a Cow blog until December 31, 2011 (243/244)
I’ve decided to scrap item #39) (Post 2 to 4 times a month to my Buy Products From France website) . I’m not motivated to maintain this website and the revenue generation is not enough to motivate me further. So I’m rewriting this item with a new project. I’ve been wanting to sell my photographs and other art for a while and I’ve found a few websites I could try out. Putting it on this list will hopefully make me take action.
NEW – 39) Post photographs and other art for sale on Zazzle.com and a few other similar websites (0/1)
44) Read one book a week (44/143)
47) Read 5 to 7 new books with my kids every week (33/143)
48) Learn 3 to 5 new words every week and keep a log of them (20/143)
I haven’t done any of these two items yet and 2011 is over. Can you see how screwed I am?
52) Create an Excel spreadsheet for my business expenses and income for 2011 (0/1)
53) Track and document my business deductions and receipts for 2011 (0/1)
Family & Leisure
I’ve done pretty well in this category and was able to make some numbers move up a bit.
54) Spend one-on-one quality time once a week with my oldest (26/143)
55) Spend one-on-one quality time once a week with my youngest (28/143)
57) Cook one large family dish every week (18/143)
58) Make/bake one family dessert every week (13/143)
59) Try 10 new recipes (3/10) (Halloween cookies)
60) Bake Christmas cookies and share with friends and family (1/3)
This is the first time I’ve done this. My chocolate chip cookies didn’t come out as planned but I still managed to put some goodies together and mail them to friends and family. At this time, this is quite an accomplishment for me.
62) Try 10 new restaurants (5/10)
72) Watch one new movie with my husband every other week (12/72)
74) Email or call my sister at least once a month (5/33)
Health & Personal Growth
There’s definitely room for improvement here in 2012…
87) Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night (105/1001)
88) Take my vitamins every day (165/1001)
89) Eat at least one good source of protein every day (156/1001)
90) Drink Diet Coke only twice a week (12/143)
91) Exercise (strenuously) at least 2 times a week (35/246)
92) Check my blood pressure twice a week (10/246)
93) Get 2 mammograms (1 a year) (1/2) – one down!
101) Develop 3 new friendships (0/3)
I almost want to mark 2/3 for this last item because I made friends with two great ladies in my town this year, but I’ll wait a little while longer before I go ahead and make it official.
I found out today from Sarsm that we got lots of new 101 in 1001 challengers (look in my left sidebar for the complete list (please give me a couple of days to add them). If you’d like to join us in this challenge, it’s not too late and the start of a new year is the perfect opportunity to take on new challenges. If you want to sign up, just visit Sarsm and let her know. We’d love to have you join us.